Do I need a visa or a residence permit?

Citizens of EU/EEA-countries: need a residence permit only if they stay in Finland for more than three months. In order to apply for it, they must register at the local police station before the three-month-period expires. EU/EEA-citizens do not need a visa.

Citizens of the Nordic Countries: do not need a residence permit or a visa.

Non-EU/EEA students: need a visa or a residence permit in most cases. They need to apply for these before arriving in Finland. Students should always check this information with the nearest Finnish diplomatic mission.

For more information, please see Student Recidence Permits